We are Avida – a retail experience company. Through strategy, design, and technology solutions we enable brands and retailers to deliver in-store digital experiences that engage the senses, the mind, and the heart.
We are seeking a full-time Sr. Motion Designer to join our growing creative team.
To be successful in this role you will need to be highly skilled, widely experienced, an avid learner, proactive problem solver, and possess a strong work ethic and natural sense of curiosity. You are excited about working with new technologies as well as expanding the realms of what’s possible within existing ones. Your portfolio will showcase your 2D and 3D technical proficiency, conceptual thinking, attention to detail, eye for design, and flair for artistry.
The responsibilities of this role will be split between external-facing projects for client programs and creating experiential prototypes with the Sr. Director of Design for our dedicated retail innovation lab. You must be comfortable working independently in a self-directed environment as well as collaboratively within a team.
- Contribute to brainstorming sessions and concept development for a wide range of visual media projects such as promos, brand spots, interactive applications, websites, and sensory experiences
- Determine the appropriate medium and tools best suited for the project
- Prepare sketches, mock-ups, storyboards, style frames, and animatics
- Design and animate 2D layouts and graphic elements, and 3D models, environments and effects at a high level of production quality
- Edit photos, video, audio, models, and vector illustrations
- Design within existing brand guidelines, asset libraries, and templates
- Follow established operational and workflow processes, and provide suggestions for efficiency
- Explore self-directed R&D where necessary to get the job done
- Lead, manage, prioritize, and deliver multiple projects within agreed timelines
- Model Avida’s core values during all interactions with colleagues, clients, and external partners
- Be a champion for design, and for the end-customer
- 5+ years experience in a motion design role or similar
- Bachelor degree/college diploma in relevant design/animation/arts discipline or equivalent portfolio
- High level of technical proficiency in Adobe CC (particularly After Effects, Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, Media Encoder), Cinema 4d + Redshift, Blender, Quixel, Insydium
- Online portfolio and/or video reel
- Fluent English (spoken and written)
- A strong understanding of visual design fundamentals
- A solid understanding of video rendering
- Comfortable working in a Windows environment and with MS Office
- Comfortable working within an innovation environment (exploring new possibilities means uncertainty)
Great to have
- AR experience with Unity/Unreal or web-based AR platforms
- Experience with front-end web CSS animations
- Projection mapping experience with Touchdesigner
- Experience creating rich interactive visual effects for web using GSAP, 2D Canvas, Three.js, WebGL, Pixi.js, shader programming or other graphic-focused libraries
- Experience working with and presenting to clients
- Experience working within a creative agency environment
- Experience mentoring junior designers
- Experience working with project management software
- A love for film, animation, photography, gaming, digital media arts and installations
- Sketching skills
- An entrepreneurial spirit
What we offer
- Strategy and innovation-focused company facing rapid growth
- Inclusive and engaging team atmosphere, with supportive and collaborative mentality
- Competitive compensation, with opportunities for advancement
This position currently requires minimum in-person attendance of 2 days per week (Tuesday & Wednesday) at our head office located in West Toronto (10 minute walk from Islington station). The remaining 3 week days can be worked remotely if you have an adequate personal home setup. You will also be required to be on-site at our innovation lab in downtown Toronto occasionally.
The above are not intended to be an exhaustive list of the duties, responsibilities and requirements of the job described. Rather, they are intended to describe the general nature of the job.
Avida is committed to creating an inclusive and diverse work environment. If you require any accommodation in the application process, please let us know in advance.
As an equal opportunity employer, we would like to thank all candidates who apply, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.